Skip to main content

Rhythmic Broken Tunes

 July 3rd 2021

Half of the year has passed and my soul hasn't left my body yet, so I guess it's going pretty good as of now. Although the former part of the pandemic hasn't been a very smooth ride, the later part has taught me a lot of things which I never knew about myself. The society or the environment we live in has specific constructs about what is good and bad, what is beautiful and ugly and from childhood these beliefs are made facts and are inculcated within us. But discovering  what's beautiful from one's own perspective, holds a separate joy altogether because it's personal, something which is completely our own creation. 

"To find happiness, look halfway between too little, too much"- Ruskin Bond. It is true that we keep searching for happiness which is long lasting, but how do I explain to you the joy in inking a new pen with a little bit in your fingers and on your nose. Yes, being the clumsy person that I am, I'm always one step far from spilling the entire ink pot on my bed sheet. Talking about clumsy-ness, despite having long fingers, they don't work when it comes to playing an uke. But the inexplicable joy when I could finally get a note correct and when the tune matches completely with the actual song, is when I get butterflies in my stomach. Also my best friend being my all time cheerleader and listening to all my broken tunes with serious attention. 

It has been almost 3 years that I have been teaching but I still don't think I qualify as a teacher. But the feeling that I can be useful to my students makes me feel a little less useless. And along with it comes the immense joy when you help them frame their beautiful mind. My youngest student finds rainbows and clouds to be the most beautiful creation of God and this feels like an achievement to have a little bit of me in her. 

I miss bus rides, although in Kolkata you could only get the smell of the sweat all around you. But sometimes when the bus used to move forward on the bridge, you could see the vehicles rushing down from the left side showing their red back lights along with the vehicles racing upwards on the right side with their yellow headlights, it made the street look like a canvas with strokes of ruby and gold. 


In this uncountable number of joys of life, the afternoon walks, the experience of listening to Beethoven's symphony number 9 at the busy exide crossing with the rhythmic movement of the vehicles, the smell of a new book, the smiling face of your little 1 year old brother when you rub your nose against his, are few of the beautiful things which keeps you going in this ramshackle world. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alma Mater

  Today,our professor talked about the year 2007 when he first joined this institution, a memory so vivid and alive in his mind. The very same year , a six year old also shared the same building, with vague recollection of events. Our college is going to end soon and so does the sixteen years of journey with 11 Lord Sinha Road. With a handful of students in class today our professor shared some of his beautiful experiences, in and around the walls covering the premises. Being in the same premises, we shared a world which was completely different from each other.  A huge mango tree stands in our school ground. During this time of the year it is filled with green unripe mangoes with a sweet- citrusy scent in the air. But what we often left unnoticed were the lives that lived under the tree's shelter. Well, our professor didn't. He told us how there used to be squirrels, running down a branch of the tree and then landing on his windowsill of his staffroom. Then, without much notic

Afternoons

While coming back home from college,I choose to walk home alone along those empty streets which are left undiscovered. As I walk down the streets, I witness strings of houses with closed doors and windows   implying that people are giving their afternoon sleep after having their patent Bengali lunch ,the "Dal chawal". I see stray dogs , resting in the limited shed they get. The world looks at ease and it seems like there's no rush. The shops are closed , the vehicles are limited,people on the streets are numbered and there's me breathing peace in those solitary afternoons. Clicking pictures have always been my favourite sport. I try to notice every little thing which surrounds me while I walk forward. I check the changing skyscape, the movement of the clouds and the leaves of the trees, the colours of the walls which are noticed by none,the different forms of shadows formed by the trees or the buildings taking different patterns, and even the empty chair which is ke