Skip to main content

One day.


There will be a house. A house on hills. Not a very fancy one, but a small one. Big enough to fit in a bed beside a long window, a kitchen and a garden outside. There will be curtains all around the house. White , embroidered curtains, so that when the sun comes in, it fills the floors with shadows of different shapes. I ll sit there in the afternoon, gazing at the sun and thinking how beautiful it makes my house look. I ll click a picture or two, with the flowers in my garden, the bright green grass with the dead leaves and broken petals fallen on them. There will be a bookshelf, filled with books. I ll have time then, i ll read and re read all the books I love. And there will be a little corner in my house, the cosy one, the one corner which makes one feel safe and protected. The one where I ll sit on those rainy days with a heavy heart listening to Chopin with a cup of black tea mixed with a tinge of ginger and no sugar. 
But there will be a part in the house, left untouched and empty with two chairs ,a tea table and a small window from where I could see the city on hills , lighted up like fire flies when the Sun goes down. That space will be kept for you. I ll keep a handkerchief, with your initials embroidered on it, and I ll keep the Cologne which you used, to feel your presence around. I ll sit there sometimes, with a cup of coffee, just the way you liked and may be I ll order a pizza from Domino's with a cheese dip and have it with ketchup, just how you like it. I ll keep an old tape where I ll listen to all those songs which you liked and which we used to sing together. But there will be no picture of you, or us. There will be pictures of places we visited, of the lanes we walked together and of the food we ate.Sometimes I would remember the times when I used to rest my head on your shoulder and was surrounded by your arms, making me feel safe, the only time when I didn't want to feel strong, but just wanted to feel loved and comforted and vulnerable, wanted to feel you.   But I won't see your face, or listen to your voice, coz my heart will ache for it has been so empty for so long and my emotions for you are too heavy. Too heavy for the glass walls that surrounds my heart, too fragile. But you will always be there, in that corner of my house, maybe somewhere in my heart too, the part I try to avoid, and I ll wish you are safe, and happy and loved. I ll wish for you the best.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Alma Mater

  Today,our professor talked about the year 2007 when he first joined this institution, a memory so vivid and alive in his mind. The very same year , a six year old also shared the same building, with vague recollection of events. Our college is going to end soon and so does the sixteen years of journey with 11 Lord Sinha Road. With a handful of students in class today our professor shared some of his beautiful experiences, in and around the walls covering the premises. Being in the same premises, we shared a world which was completely different from each other.  A huge mango tree stands in our school ground. During this time of the year it is filled with green unripe mangoes with a sweet- citrusy scent in the air. But what we often left unnoticed were the lives that lived under the tree's shelter. Well, our professor didn't. He told us how there used to be squirrels, running down a branch of the tree and then landing on his windowsill of his staffroom. Then, without much notic

Afternoons

While coming back home from college,I choose to walk home alone along those empty streets which are left undiscovered. As I walk down the streets, I witness strings of houses with closed doors and windows   implying that people are giving their afternoon sleep after having their patent Bengali lunch ,the "Dal chawal". I see stray dogs , resting in the limited shed they get. The world looks at ease and it seems like there's no rush. The shops are closed , the vehicles are limited,people on the streets are numbered and there's me breathing peace in those solitary afternoons. Clicking pictures have always been my favourite sport. I try to notice every little thing which surrounds me while I walk forward. I check the changing skyscape, the movement of the clouds and the leaves of the trees, the colours of the walls which are noticed by none,the different forms of shadows formed by the trees or the buildings taking different patterns, and even the empty chair which is ke